Monday, November 21, 2005

My Daily Routine

Last week I received a letter from my Great Aunt Mary with lots of new questions about my life here in Kyrgyzstan. Responses are posted here.

When my Apa picked me up at the PCV luncheon she traveled with all of the Apas that are hosting volunteers in Bolshevik and Ak-Beshim. The family that my teacher lives with has a marshrutka, which fits 14 people plus the driver. Mike & Brenda’s host family has a zeal (a big truck they use for farming) and we brought our luggage in that. About 3-4 men were there to take care of our luggage, because the zeal is very tall and our bags were heavy.

To get into Tokmok there are 3 choices for transportation. There’s a bus which costs about $0.15 to ride. If we get up early enough, Alishear will give us a ride in the marshrutka before he goes to work. If we need to get into town quickly, and neither of the first two works out, we can hitchhike. That’s not my favorite way to travel, but sometimes I just have to. To get back to Bolshevik from Tokmok, we have all of these modes of transportation plus taxis. But they charge more, and everyone in the village knows when we come home in a taxi. I try to avoid it because I don’t like people to know exactly what I spend money on and then start asking how much I get paid. I don’t make much, but I think I make a little more than them. Plus, my stipend is mostly disposable at this point – I don’t have a family to support.

Next is a description of my typical day. On Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday I have language classes. I get up at 7:00am, wash up, dress, and have breakfast. Breakfast has been an ongoing battle with my Apa. I always try to make it to the table before she cooks my food so I can make instant oatmeal, but she usually wins. I think I could come to breakfast at 3am and she would have something on the table already. She makes 1 of 4 things: fried eggs with lots of butter, fried potatoes with lots of butter, oatmeal or Cream of Wheat. I actually detest Cream of Wheat, but I’ve found that if I load it up with raisins its bearable. One raisin in every bite is good. I have to ask for any type of fruit – dried or fresh. Fruit isn't freely offered, but they have a lot of apples in storage. They are saving them for the winter. After breakfast, I go to my teacher’s house. That’s where we have class – in the dining room. Class is from 8:00am-12:30pm with a tea break at 10:00. Whoever’s Apa is making lunch that day sends snacks for chai (tea). We usually have bread, homemade jam, cookies and candy. At 12:30 we go to one of the host family’s houses for lunch. They make an impressive spread with bread, jam, candy, salad, tea, and 1 or 2 main dishes.

My first teacher was Kanykei, and my second teacher is Nurguz. They are both Kyrgyz, though some people have Russian or Uzbek teachers. Our village has 6 trainees including me. (We’re actually trainees – not volunteers – until December 3rd when we have our swearing in ceremony). The other volunteers are:

~Mike & Brenda – 35 & 32, Mike is from Chicago, Brenda is from Colorado where they were living for the past 15ish years

~Trent & Rejoyce – in their 30s, from Virginia, Trent was a jeweler and Rejoyce was a kindergarten teacher, a very eccentric couple

~Andrew – 22, from Kansas City, just graduated college with an Economics degree

On Tuesday we have technical training. We take the marshrutka to Tokmok, where the TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) volunteers go to the school and the SOCD (Sustainable Organizational and Community Development – fancy label for Business) Volunteers take another marshrutka for another 30 minutes to a town called Ivanovka. The SOCD volunteers go to a dilapidated old building that used to be a collective during Soviet times. In the states it would be condemnable and even here its sub par. But the SOCD directors have ignored our protests. There’s no heat, lots of critters living on the ceiling, and I won’t even describe the toilet situation. Its absolutely disgusting. There’s also live wires hanging out of the wall. The Peace Corps pays to use the space. Last week, we made our voices heard about the conditions. This week I hear we’re going to a different location.

On Wednesday, we have "Hub Day". All of the volunteers go to the school in Tokmok. We have a Medical session, Safety & Security, and Cross Cultural. This is also where we get vaccinations. The sessions aren’t that great, but it’s the only day that everyone is together and we get mail. Also, sometimes current volunteers come to give us advice and answer questions for us. They’re the best source of information, so I really enjoy when they come.

On Sundays, I usually do laundry. Today is Sunday, so that’s what I’ve been doing. I already spent 2 hours and only got half of it done. But I have 2 weeks worth of clothes (I was traveling last Sunday). I ran out of hot water and my Apa said I can finish the rest in the БАНЯ. Sometimes its so hot in there that I think I’ll pass out before I finish washing. And washing clothes by hand does require some exertion, so I don’t know if that’ll work out. And we use lye soap for our clothes. It gets them clean, but it also eats the clothes up. It always makes me sad after I’ve washed my clothes and see that the soap is taking the color out.

Once I’m finished with school, my days are free. I usually visit a little with the old ladies on this street. When I get home I read, write in my journal and study language. I usually only spend the hour of dinner with my family. Speaking another language is exhausting and by the end of the day, I’m usually frustrated with speaking Kyrgyz. And my Apa won’t slow down and say things so I can understand them, and sadly enough I avoid talking to her too much. My host brother and his wife take the time to help me understand and I usually can figure out everything they say to me.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey freak. You get my package yet? I dont want som Kyrgeez jerk gettin his mits on the nude photos I sent you. I hope your parents read this. -G-lick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home