Saturday, December 10, 2005

My New Jizzob

I'm not working at the internet cafe. Thank goodness, because I don't know how I would have spent my days. Instead I'm working at a place called RDC-ELET (Rural Development Center). They were originally funded by the UK government, but that funding runs out in September and they're supposed to be sustainable by then. Guess what. They're not sustainable. What the NGO does is help poverty stricken people in the villages throughout the state start their own businesses. They give them mini loans to buy sewing machines and supplies, farm equipment, seeds for planting, etc. They've helped quite a few people get started, and they make a good amount of money for Kyrgyz villagers. So they have a good mission, and a good sense of business. It seems that they're dependent on grants and don't want to change that. My job will probably be to get them funding. But in the process I'll be teaching them to write their own grants and find ways to become self sustaining. They also have their hand in tourism and there are some great places to stay around here. If anyone wants to visit Kyrgyzstan, I've got some great resources!

This past week, I spent 3 days traveling around Talas to see the different villages. There was freshly fallen snow and it was beautiful. Dangerous and beautiful. We traveled in a Russian jeep and it was like off roading except we were on roads. But there was very little heat, and my toes and calves were in so much pain. I hope we don't do this again next week.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home